Elmer’s Big Heart of Kent Parade is a spectacular free public art trail coming to Maidstone this summer.
Heart of Kent Hospice is working in partnership with Wild in Art, the UK’s leader in the production of spectacular mass-market public art events and Andersen Press, a leading independent children’s publisher is delighted to be bringing David McKee’s popular children’s character Elmer to life.
From 20 June – 23 August a parade of fabulously colourful and unique Elmers will take you on a trail around the beautiful County town of Maidstone. The trail will incorporate Maidstone’s vibrant town centre, the stunning river path and other popular landmarks.
This mass-participation family event will feature up to 50 large sculptures. Each sculpture will feature a unique design by some amazing local and national artists, both well-known and emerging. The trail will be supported by 30 baby Elmers which have been adopted by local schools and community groups and will be in groups in indoor public spaces in Maidstone.
- To welcome, assist and engage with visitors walking the trail, providing information and directions in a courteous, friendly and helpful manner.
- Promote and represent Heart of Kent Hospice whilst positioned at places along the trail and in the town centre.
- Assist visitors with trail App download and navigation.
- Relay any damage to sculptures, feedback from residents or participant concerns to Project Co-ordinator without delay.
If you are as excited about this as we are, we’d love to hear from you but here are a few things you need to know:
- These are unpaid volunteer roles
- We’d love your help but must ask that you are 18+ to undertake these roles
- Trailmakers are required to volunteer from 15 June to 6 September
- You can undertake to volunteer for as many or as few shifts as you are available but we do ask for a firm commitment (booking via on-line portal coming soon)
- Various volunteer shifts available from 10am – 1pm or 1pm – 4pm 7 days a week
- Compulsory attendance at an induction session – either 5:30-7:30pm on Tuesday 16 June or 9:30am-11:30am on 18 June at Heart of Kent Hospice, Preston Hall, Aylesford, Maidstone ME20 7PU
- As part of the recruitment process you will need to complete a very quick form and provide details of referees. We can help you with this, so please just ask.
- We will provide you with a “colourful” Elmer’s Big Heart of Kent Parade T-shirt for use when representing the Hospice as part of the trail and as a keepsake of your time as a Trailmaker so we will need you to let us know what size T-shirt you would like.
- We hope you have fun, and perhaps even consider helping us long after the Elmer Trail has packed it’s trunk. We have lots of volunteer opportunities waiting for you!