Many young people face numerous challenges when they transition out of care. They may face financial challenges, relationship difficulties, low self-esteem and confidence, difficulties in finding work, and many more.
A Leaving Care Mentor can assist young people to achieve a sense of confidence, belonging and achievement by helping them to strive towards their goals, and help promote the skills required to live independently.
As a Care Leaving Mentor you will
• Motivate, guide and assist a Care Leaver.
• Promote the skills required to live independently.
• Work with a Care Leaver aged between 18-25.
• Meet with a Care Leaver on a frequency that works for the Care Leaver and Mentor, with contact between each visit if needed.
• Work with a Care Leaver over an agreed period of approximately 6-9 months.
• Support a Care Leaver to achieve a set of goals i.e. basic cooking skills/building a CV/reduce isolation.
• If requested, advocate for a Care Leaver and accompany to meetings or appointments etc.