Aim of volunteering role
This role is to assist in improving quality of life for older people living with cancer through practical and emotional support.
The role will require visiting clients in their own home providing emotional support, friendship, practical help and guidance. It will include supporting people with practical and emotional needs at the end of life aimed at reducing isolation and loneliness.
Activities for this role will vary according to the individual client’s needs. They may include
- Befriending, support, encouragement and companionship
- Assistance with social activities or shopping
- Taking to appointments
Minimum commitment of 2 hours per week
Place of work: In the community, visiting clients homes
Volunteer manager: Cancer Support coordinator, Community Wellbeing Team
Transport needed: Yes
- Good communication skills
- Calm and empathetic
- Understand boundaries and confidentiality
- Willing to undertake training and supervision
- Full training within role as well as additional access to other courses
- Travel expenses
- Full insurance cover
- Volunteer recognition events, e.g. Christmas, Volunteers Week and other holidays
Volunteers who will be directly and significantly involved with children and/or vulnerable adults will be required to undergo a police check.