Love reading? For many of our older residents, reading is a useful mental exercise to aid memory, discuss literary themes and debate issues in a lively atmosphere which improves service users’ quality of life.
- Inviting service users to decide what they wish to get out of the weekly book groups.
- Inviting service users to suggest books, as well having your own input.
- Choosing a book(s) for residents to read for the following week’s discussion.
- Creating a comfortable atmosphere which will encourage and motivate service users to maximize their learning and build confidence.
- Exploring books from service users’ generation and/ or home country
- Discussing book and film adaptations
Support to Volunteers:
- Volunteers receive face-to-face training and induction, and will be supported to access mandatory and optional e-Learning courses
- Volunteers work alongside experienced staff and often collaborate with other volunteers
- Reasonable travel and lunch expenses will be reimbursed